Saturday, April 12, 2008

it's not the ending yet.

the past few weeks have been super draining on me. since coming back from spring break, the workload has significantly increased.

now what you all probably don't know is i'm a senior who is graduating in december 2008. that means, i am taking a semester longer to finish my degree, which is not bad for someone who just switched her major last semester. up until i left to go study abroad in new zealand a year ago (spring 2007), i had been taking regular math classes for my math-tracked degree. but i knew even then that i didn't want to do anything with my math degree after i graduated from college anyway, because i was more interested in things like event planning or arts and crafts, and the math degree was just to prove to people that i do have a brain. but i was struggling with it. boy, was i struggling. i didn't have as strong of a math background as other kids coming into harvey mudd, and i could have still finished the degree had i chosen to do so. however, my passion didn't lie there, and i figured this out when i studied abroad. but of course, i was too scared then to switch, and it took coming back to harvey mudd and signing up for six math courses in one semester that did me in.

but i don't regret any part of that journey. right now, i am doing what i love, even if i'm not sure this is what i want to do after i graduate. okay, i digress. this wasn't what i was going to write about. i just wanted you to know that i have that extra semester, that's all.

one semester isn't much, but i keep forgetting that most of my friends will be graduating this may, as in, in a month! in a month, we will all go our separate ways. in a month, they'll all either start their new lives in their new jobs or grad schools or some other options. and i'll still be at mudd for another semester. but what gets to me, is that until the end of the semester, i still have a lot of work i have to complete, including making four different movies for my classes. since i have to do those on top of my normal assignments, it leaves me little time to actually spend with these friends before we all disperse. i don't know when i will be able to see these folks again, since we all came from different parts of the country or the world. and i still have to find a job for the summer, which i haven't been too successful looking for a graphics designing job or a video editing job. so i think the purpose of this post is just me worrying about how i'm going to juggle everything until the end of the semester and how i was going to prepare myself for graduation day. i think i blabbed too much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Trang! I just wanted to say how cool I think it is that you're discovering and following your true interests. In my humble opinion, this is what college is all about. Kudos!

trang said...

yes, most definitely. i am really glad that i've had the chance to go through this really incredibly hard journey because i've learned a lot about myself. honestly, i don't remember much from my classes, but i do know i am really happy with who i am today. and i hope that other students will get the chance to discover themselves, too! :)