Sunday, November 30, 2008

false ending.

the past week has been crazy fun. on tuesday, after my only class of the day, i went to the airport to pick up my childhood friend to go to the coldplay concert, which was amazing, amazing, amazing! i cried when they played "fix you", but that song has so many ties with me that i pretty much cry even when i don't hear it live. after the concert, i decided to stay up the whole night to start packing away my room. four years is a long time to accumulate a lot of junk. i skipped my classes on wednesday so that i could be home in time for my brother's birthday. (having wednesday classes before thanksgiving is a terrible idea for a school that has so many out-of-states students.) i started cooking that night and cooked all day thursday, and the result was a pretty spectacular menu. my uncle said during dinner that it's a waste for me to go to a math and science school when i should have been at a culinary institute. haha. i actually really want to go to one later, not to start a cooking career but to spruce up my dinner parties a bit. :)

i really love being home when the whole family's there. since my brother is in the military and i'm away at college, it's nearly impossible to get all of us in one place. i had a lot of fun doing absolutely nothing with my family, and i just miss that feeling of no time constraints and no worries. today is my last day to see my brother for a long time because he's going back to iraq when i finish college. i wish i could stay at home longer, but that dreaded voice keeps reminding me that i have eighteen days left here. eighteen! geez, time flies by so fast!

i know those eighteen days won't feel like anything, but before i can be home free, i still have a lot of things to finish. i have to make some edits on my thesis, build two webpages, write a treatment for a documentary, take two finals, and piece together an hour-long documentary that i've been working on the past few months with a couple of people at pomona college. the last bit scares me the most, since all we have completed at this point is five minutes tops. it was a promising piece--the girl secured a place in the calarts film festival in january for it--but i'm scared we won't be able to complete it in time. the project changed a lot during its course, so that's why we didn't finish more. and i have too much school work now to work on it.

it felt like school was over, until i arrived at my suite door. there's still so many non-school-related things i want to do at mudd and in claremont before i leave, but i've been shooing people away because i have to keep focused. i can't stay here any longer even if i wanted to (because my backpacking trip starts in january), and i really can't screw up now. but at this moment, i am, because i'm writing this post instead of reading and researching and writing. :/

No comments: